Sunday, January 28, 2007

Most Interesting Characters




For this week, the most interesting characters I've met were three ladies at the Dollar Tree. While all of us were rushing around to make our purchases, one of the ladies, a tall strawberry blonde with penetrating blue eyes was looking for the perfect balloon, a colorful Get Well balloon.

"Do you think she'll like this one, or should it say something else."

While loading items in a shopping basket another of the women wiped tears from her eyes.

"She knows how sick she is, so just get it. Let's get three of them. One from each one of us."

The third lady and I made eye contact and she smiled at me.

"We're having a little party for our friend. She's having chemotherapy and her hair's falling out. We want to make her laugh again."

"God bless all of you," I said. "She's fortunate to have such devoted friends."

On the way home from a busy day of errands I could not get the three women and their ill friend out of my mind. Perhaps I was envious that three women took such time to do something so thoughtful for a friend.

After all, it is the little things in life that mean so much to all of us. When we are healthy and things are going well, we have the tendency to take things for granted.

I have promised to make the most of each day while enjoying the little things, especially since 1998 when my world was falling apart. My dad was fighting to survive chemotherapy and radiation. My husband, Phil, was rushed into cardiac surgery, and I was spinning on an endless wheel trying to keep my career on target while caring for my dad and husband. My valiant attempt to be Super Woman.

On February 4, my husband will have another 'Heart Day.' A personal celebration for he and I after his heart surgery and recovery. This will be his 9th anniversary of 'Heart Day.'

Since that time (every year just before the anniversary approaches) I buy him a small heart trinket, a little something of insignificance to show I respect how hard he has battled to change his life and work habits since February 4, 1998. Today, I bought him a "Leonardo" stuffed animal -- the one Hallmark is advertising. He has a beautiful red heart and his tail wags, and of course, he speaks to you.

I have it gift wrapped and ready to give to Phil on his "Heart Day." Just like the three ladies at Dollar Tree, I am attempting to do something of little significance for a friend -- my husband -- to show him it is the little things in life that make us smile and appreciate life. Just like the thoughtfulness of three women searching for just the perfect balloon to make a friend smile.

As a writer, I am always observing people, wherever I go. Watching and reading their actions. I suppose it is because I love to read what isn't said, but shared.

Like friends searching for just the right shape, color and comments on a balloon. Or, something red and filled with hope - to signify to my husband that I do acknowledge that he does have a heart. Until 1998, I questioned if he still had a heart left, but when his chest was opened and a zipper left after surgery, I realized he does have a heart. The tears he allowed to slip onto his face just before surgery, and his actions after his surgery showed me everyone in life has character - if we just dig deep enough to find it and allow it to blossom.

My most interesting characters come from life. People walking on the beach. Meeting neighbors while walking with my three children, my beautiful pups. Children laughing. Older couples holding hands while strolling along the sidewalks. Saying hello to a complete stranger. Doing something unexpected -- just for absolutely no reason at all!

Here's a toast to all of life's most interesting characters!

1 comment:

"Dootz" said...

I really enjoyed this post. Thanks! My favorite line was "I suppose it is because I love to read what isn't said, but shared." I do the same thing but have never put it so eloquently as you did.

Happy Easter to you and yours.